Wednesday, March 04, 2009

How call center is a failure in India?

Look, let us first acknowledge some hard truths.
* India is too diversified a nation
* I believe there are as many languages in India that is equal to the number of states in India
* Not all know English and I strongly feel it is not necessary also.
* The assumption that all people living in metropolitan cities speak English is absurd.
* Another assumption is that everyone have good ears. How they can expect such people to communicate with call centers?

On the last point alone, let me cite my husband's personal experience. He is not deaf but he is not sharp. When I contacted a bank's customer care and introduced myself and informed them that I am speaking on behalf my husband because of his handicap, the call center person simply refused to listen to me and insisted on talking to my husband in spite of his condition. What a sympathetic attitude!

I know how people from other cities in Tamilnadu suffer because the call centers are adamant not to speak in local language when they know the caller can't speak in English.

Who are we fooling? Are we alluring multi national companies that India speaks English only to gain a call center contract? I don't think the MNCs are so dumb not to recognize this truth. The craze to be a slave of western business has not ended even after 1947.

You satisfy your customers but not by compromising the country's identity and true nature. Can't the call centers ask the caller about his language preference and act accordingly? Is it that much difficult?

There are call centers who are ill equipped with staff and they also show intolerable inefficiency. I already cited my bitter experience with an online travel site in this blog a few days ago. They are giving me and the entire nation jitters with their utter indifference to complaints.

I will write out the full saga between me and that online travel website if and when I am able to resolve the issue.

I think this is my longest post; I just could not curb my frustration.

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

0 comments: