Friday, July 27, 2007

Beware of rootkits.

I think Rootkit will affect mostly Linux based system.
A rootkit is a set of software tools intended to conceal running processes, files or system data from the operating system.

Rootkits have their origin in benign applications, but in recent years have been used increasingly by malware to help intruders maintain access to systems while avoiding detection. Rootkits exist for a variety of operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, Linux and Solaris. Rootkits often modify parts of the operating system or install themselves as drivers or kernel modules.

When I detected some problem with my PC, I called my system engineer. He ran scan but could find anything. So, together we searched for some indication to identify the cause and learnt about rootkits. A rootkit is often used to hide utilities.

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

0 comments: