Monday, August 27, 2007

Cheaper than hotels in Paris

Call it a coincidence or destiny or whatever other fitting name, I have a friend named Darlene Nicholson; I came into contact with her when I was reading “The Word” by Irving Wallace in which an important character’s name is also Darlene Nicholson.

It all happened way back in 1979 that I actually met her during our college tour to France and England. My new friend Darlene Nicholson accompanied me to the ancient and holy Louvre, also featured in that novel by IW.

The Paris Hotel manager went out of the way to give us valuable tips and guidance on the places to see in Paris and nearby and several words in French were also taught by him.

Remembering from reading so many novels, I boasted of my knowledge about Paris. I insisted that we see the Champs-Elysees first and then see other landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral and the Arc de Triomphe.

Prior to our departure from India, everyone was given some assignment; I was asked to give a report on Hotels in France. I think I was lucky to have gotten it. It was quite easy for me and I added extra two pages of information about Hotels in Paris.

Trivia:
*Do you that Paris was called Lutetia during the first- to sixth-century Roman occupation?
*The Eiffel Tower was built for the French Revolution centennial 1889 Universal Exposition, as a "temporary" display of architectural engineering prowess but remained the world's tallest building until 1930.
*Paris is known for its sudden showers.

A visit to the Paris is incomplete without shopping for perfumes. We were advised to go to Avenue Montaigne next to the Champs-Élysées, which is home to luxury brand labels such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton (LVMH), Dior and Givenchy.

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

0 comments: